Tuesday, April 05, 2005

my ankle, and ole Bill

I rolled my ankle last night while walking in downtown Mountain View.
I heard the 'pip-pop' as my ankle folded onto itself. With backpacking season approaching, ain't it just what I need?


Had dinner at my buddy Dave's house. His dad, Bill, died this weekend. We talked about the old days when Bill grew up in the 50's. His widow and best friend told about his shennanigans as a teenager, how he loved a good party. He loved adventure. When I was a teenager my pal Dave would have parties at his house, and ole Bill would always come out and mingle with our friends. He would partake in the meat on the grill, and have a beer.

During his last days at the nursing home, he tried to escape. His widow Margie got a call in the middle of the night saying, "Your husband is giving us some problems, come right away." She got to the facility and as the elevator doors opened she saw two old ladies in their wheelchair blocking the door. Ole Bill in his wheelchair was trying to get through.
"Get outta my way, I'm goin home" he says. "If you don't get out of my way, I'm calling the sheriff!" I could just picture him in a mexican standoff with 2 old wheelchair bound ladies.

He was a great guy. We'll all miss ole Bill.

No comments: