Tuesday, August 02, 2005

poker

I've been playing a bunch of poker online lately. It's been an up and down journey, so I've learned that easy money, it's not. Sure, I'm up all-in-all; but my hourly rate must be absurdly low because of the ridiculously low limits I've been playing. Hey, it's a hobby not a career.
I will say that the vast majority of poker players online SUCK. I mean they really suck balls. Calling huge bets with shit hands like 8-5, or K-4, and miraculousy catching flushes or straights is the ultimate "bad-mood" inducer. But that's the discipline. If I can maintain my composure through these situations, I can control the rage within, and master my emotions. Or at the very least TRY.
So you see, poker is not just a game. It's not like darts or bowling. The skills acquired through playing poker can be applied in life. Risk vs. reward, calculated bluffs, emotional control, opponent reading, and advertising are all tools and skills which can be honed and applied to everyday life. Try applying your bowling skills to your sales job; Or apply your dart throwing skills to your high paying position as a pencil pusher or desk jockey. Forget about it.
Today, I'll encourage you to play some poker. But first do your homework. Learn the general concepts of odds-calculation and basic strategy and attack the play money tables at the poker site of your choice. Once you've dominated the play money domain, deposit $20-$30 into the account and try your hand at the 10 cent tables. I guarantee with a little patience, and perseverance, you too can punk the little bitch on the other side of your monitor.

Good Luck.

No comments: