Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Comics childhood

I admit it.
I'm a comic dork. What can I say?
It was Superman, Spiderman, the X-men, and Batman who taught me right from wrong, good vs. evil, heroics vs. villainy. I suppose comics improved my reading skills; and comics DEFINITELY improved my artistic skills.
I have one vivid memory of wanting to learn to draw. I was at a banquet party with my parents at the Sheraton near SFO airport. All the kids were playing in some room. There was an older kid there. He was doodling pictures of super heros. I disticly remember him drawing me a picture of Spiderman hanging upside down from a web. He gave it to me. I was stoked! After that I would spend ALL my freetime and all the miniscule minutes between homework and classwork trying to replicate that dude's drawing. I was probably in first grade or so. Just a tike. After that I immersed myself into any comic book I could find. I was influenced by artists such as Simon Bisely, Marc Silvestri, Mike Golden, John Romita Jr., John Byrne, Jim Lee, John Buscema, Art Adams, George Perez and even Bill Sienkiewicz.

I know what you're thinking... Who the fuck are they? Who cares? The point is I am into comics. The fantasy, the art, the creativity, the violence, and especially the female hero's huge boobs.

So on that note:
I watched Batman this weekend and was thoroughly impressed. It was established eary that Batman Begins needed to be REALLY good. After Joel Schumacher's bullshit version of Batman and Robin nearly ruined the entire franchise, someone did a good thing by bringing on Christopher Nolan (director of Memento) to direct this version starring Christian Bale.
Sure this film has it's faults. Like Qi Gong Jinn's appearance as a Jedi ninja... who the fuck is that??? I've read a million Batman comics and never has a Jedi appeared in any of them. So, that sucked. But otherwise this movie is scary, dark, gritty, funny, actio-packed and emotional (my gf actually cried when Bruce Wayne's parents were killed). The villains are quite villainous, the gadgets fantastic, Gotham menacing...

Catch this one. It's worth the ten bucks.

No comments: