Thursday, February 15, 2007

INK

I've been obsessed lately with tattoos. Being an artist, naturally having some on my body seems normal. I'm not sure if it was fear of pain or of having a shitty piece on me, but I never got around to getting one. At one point, I guess I was proud to not have a barbwire or tribal armband, or a huge indian head on my shoulder. I'm certainly glad to not have any stupid mistakes permanently on my body (other than the scars from a clumsy youth.)
For the past year or so, I have been positive that I want one.
I've done a shitpile of research. I've perused thousands of images of tattoos, read every article I can find, every blog, every tattoo related forum and even watched some tattoo reality programs.
All this has fueled the fire. Seeing the work of undeniably talented artists has reinvigorated my artistic inspiration as well. The work of Guy Aitchison, Adrian Lee, Grime, Paul Booth is awe inspiring.
Ultimately, I will get a tattoo. This year will be one of big change for me and having myselfe inked for the first time will mark the occasion. So far I've visited many artists locally, and making the decision on who will be the artist is tough. The San Francisco bay area is a mecca for tattoo art and is the home to many world-class artists. Really, I am incredibly lucky to have my choice of artists.

So far I've met several artists about my concepts and have thus placed myself on the wait list for two artists. Jason Grace at Idle Hand SF and Adrian Lee at NewSkool. So far I've not received word from Adrian Lee, even though I should've been called by now. I expect to be contacted about a consult with Jason Grace within a month or two. Either way, I'm sure the work will be sick. Hopefully soon.

Here are some of the links I check out frequently:
Needled
Ink Trails
Allen Tattoo
Life Under Zen
Tattoo Blog
Inked Nation

No comments: